Tuesday 20 February 2018

Liam Manley hopes Horspath move reignites career

FORMER Oxfordshire seamer Liam Manley is hoping joining Horspath will provide the platform to relaunch his career. The 27-year-old left-armer found himself playing 2nd XI cricket at Great & Little Tew last season as the first team were relegated from Home Counties Premier League Division 1 with a dramatic ten-wicket defeat by Horspath on the final day of the season. And, keen to play in the top flight once more, the Banbury-based bowler is looking forward to a fresh start with Horspath, who stayed up in miraculous fashion with that last-gasp victory. Liam, who has had two spells at both Banbury and Tew, said: "I think I fell out of favour at Tew last year. "Whether my face didn't fit or what I don't know, but I need a new challenge and I'm really excited that it's with Horspath in the top flight. "I feel I still have a lot to offer at that level. I have had the experience of playing for two clubs at that level and having been there I can pass that on to other players and to the younger players. "Having played a lot of Minor Counties cricket as well for a couple of years, and playing against ex-pros, going from that to playing 2nd team cricket last season I found it hard to motivate myself. Playing at that level I was beginning to lose interest in the game. "I needed a fresh challenge and having spoken to Will and Robbie Eason at the end of the season it was a no-brainer. "They told me how Horspath needed to strengthen their bowling, and I needed a new club." Liam was a member of Tew's side, which won the Cherwell League in 2012 when his wicket tally included 7-31 against Leighton Buzzard, and he also helped them claim the Home Counties Division 2 title in 2015. "The top flight is the only medal I am missing," he added. "I see no reason why we can't challenge at Horspath. Looking at the table last season they were up there before having a poor second half of the season. "I would like to be the top wicket-taker and I also base myself on how many maidens I bowl because that brings pressure. I want to contribute hopefully with bat and ball and benefit the team. "I have always seen myself as an opening bowler. I've never seen myself as first change. I have never been someone who has gone around the park. I'm someone who takes wickets and if I'm not taking wickets I keep the runs down. "I hoped my career would have kicked on another stage, but it seems to have gone backwards. Hopefully I can resurrect my career with Horspath." At the same time, Liam, who started out as a youngster at Middleton Cheney, harbours ambitions to play for Oxfordshire again. In 2014, he was the joint leading wicket-taker as Oxon won all four Unicorns Trophy Knockout group games - taking 5-49 in a four-wicket win over Herefordshire at Eastnor - before picking up an injury in the quarter-final victory over Cumberland. He missed out on the semi-final triumph over Wiltshire and the final defeat by Devon. He also played five Minor Counties Championship games that season, but after just one Oxfordshire appearance the following year hasn't been selected since. "I still have aspirations to play Minor Counties cricket as well, which I feel I could do," he added. "Hopefully I will get the opportunity to show what I can do at Horspath and, if I do well, I can go on from there." During the close season he has been playing football for Middleton Cheney in the Oxfordshire Senior League where he has been banging in the goals. "I have played a lot of football and I keep myself fit," he added. "I've also played indoor cricket in Banbury for Chipping Norton, which is all good prep for the season. "I have always bowled well at Horspath, and I can't wait for the season to start. I want to hit the ground running." Skipper Will Eason is delighted to have Liam at Horspath. "He is a player who will add a lot of quality to our first-team squad," he said. "He is an outgoing character who wants to do well and see's this as a fresh challenge. "By his own admission things haven't really worked out the way he may have liked over the last couple of seasons, but this is a new opportunity for him, so it's great to have him on board. "He will add variety due to being a left-arm seamer. He will fit in perfectly with the club as he knows how important the social scene at Horspath is and that it's a family club, so I'm sure he will add plenty over the bar too, along with his mum and dad! "He has always performed well against us with the ball, particularly at Horspath. So the fact he will be playing half his games at The Rec will give him some positive thoughts, particularly early on in his Horspath career knowing this is a place he has picked up plenty of wickets over the years. "We know he is skilful with the ball and not seeing his name on team sheets recently against us has been a real bonus due to troubling us previously. "I think this is a great opportunity for him to get back to the levels that he has shown in previous years, and I know he has the hunger to do that."

Posted by: Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment