Wednesday 15 February 2017

Horspath swoop to sign James Fitzjohn

James Fitzjohn
HORSPATH CC are pleased to announce the signing of talented batsman James Fitzjohn from Cumnor. The club have fought off interest from a number of their Home Counties Premier League rivals to secure the services of Fitzjohn, who captained Oxfordshire Under 17s to national cup glory in 2014.

The 20-year-old, a product of Cumnor's youth system, is looking for a new challenge, and Horspath captain Will Eason is delighted to have him on board. It was while hitting an impressive 91 to lead Cumnor to a 102-run victory over Banbury in the Oxfordshire Under 17s final at Horspath three years ago that the former Abingdon School pupil first came to Will's attention.

"He played really well and caught the eye then," said the skipper. "He is a good quality player. I've kept tabs on him for the last couple of years and with all the options he had I am really pleased he has come to us. Cumnor have a fantastic youth structure and James has developed through that. They are very similar to us, and our first team has kicked through and now play in a higher league."

James, who is in his first year at Exeter University studying Geography with Spanish, said: "I am obviously really excited by moving clubs. I have spent four or five years at Cumnor now. They did lots for my development and I cannot thank them enough, but I am looking for a new challenge and test, and I believe Horspath is the right place to do that after lots of deliberation.

"Other clubs did approach me, but I spoke with my university coach and my ex-coaches at Cumnor and at school, and decided on Horspath because obviously it is a great set-up. I have played against Horspath and have been impressed by the structure of the club.

"They give young players a lot of opportunity and I want to take advantage of that, and see what I can do. "It is a risk, but I am willing to take that risk because of all the advantages it could reap, and take that step up."

James, who also bowls occasional off-spin, led Oxfordshire Under 17s to glory in the 2014 ECB Under County Competition B Division Cup with a six-wicket victory over Wiltshire in the final. It was an achievement which also saw the side named as the Oxfordshire Sports Awards junior team of the year. And his personal highlight to date came in that campaign when he made a superb 123 against Dorset.

Before heading off to university, he took a break from education and went travelling in Australia last year, spending three months coaching at Canberra Grammar School. He will be playing for Exeter University in the week, but will be available for Horspath from the start of the season.

Posted by: Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment